FTC Recommendations for Funeral Planning
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is the regulator of funeral homes and created what is known as the “Funeral Rule” to help protect consumers when making funeral arrangements. Seasons Funeral Planning Services supports the following consumer protection tips from the FTC for planning a funeral:
- Shop around in advance and compare the prices of at least two funeral homes.
- Ask for a price list – the law requires funeral homes to give you written price lists for products and services.
- Resist pressure to buy goods or services you don’t really want or need.
- Avoid emotional overspending. It’s not necessary to have the fanciest casket or the most elaborate funeral to properly honor a loved one.
- Recognize your rights. Laws regarding funerals and burials vary from state to state. It’s a smart move to know which goods or services the law requires you to purchase and which are optional.
- Apply the same smart shopping techniques for use for other major purchases. You can cut cost by limited the viewing to one day or one hour before the funeral, and by dressing your loved one in a favorite outfit instead of costly burial clothing.
- Plan ahead. It allows you to comparison shop without time constraints, creates an opportunity for family discussion, and lifts some of the burden from your family.